So, what to do, what to do? Make pecan pie, but in bar form.
Any why not – add in some chocolate too. Because chocolate and pecan…mmmmm.
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup pecans (crushed by a food processor, so you’ll need maybe a cup or cup and a half of whole ones)
- 11 T butter, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ t vanilla
- ¼ t cinnamon
- 2 eggs, brought to room temperature
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 T butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 cups, semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 ¾ cups, pecans, coarsely chopped (not food processed like above – you want bigger pieces here)
DirectionsButter and flour or spray a 13” x 9” baking dish and set it aside.
Put the flour, crushed pecans, butter, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon into a large bowl and beat until combined, moist and crumbly.
Press the dough into your prepared pan and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes until it’s a nice golden brown color. Take it out of the oven and move it to a wire rack. Leave the oven on, because this is going back in shortly.
Now on to the filling. Put the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla in a bowl and mix until just blended – don’t overmix. Pour in the chips and pecans and stir with a wooden spoon until they’re evenly distributed.
Pour the pecan mixture into your crust (it’s ok if it’s still warm) and bake for about a half hour, or until it’s nice and golden brown.
Once it’s done, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Depending on how big you cut them, you’ll probably get around maybe 24 bars.